Saturday, June 16, 2012

Captured

The people of Haiti have captured our hearts. 

From the very first moment when we pulled up at the first water stop and they leapt into our arms...they had us.

Today is Saturday, Day 5 of our mission work.  So far we have: delivered water in the Cite Soleil, visited the elders throughout Titanyen in their "homes", held and played with children at the Home of the Sick and Dying Children, visited the special needs children at Gertrude's home, visited a local school, shopped at a local market and  participated in a faith formation lesson at Grace Village and delivered shoes, hats and jerseys while we played with the children there.



Day 5 is "free choice" day, and unanimously we wanted to do the water truck again today for the first part of the day.  We just returned and my heart is heavy because at the last stop I met a little girl named Jennifer whose Grandmother came up to me when I was holding her and asked me to help her because she has no money to take care of her. (this was a common request when we were doing water deliveries, but my first one.)

Both Jennifer's parents died in the Earthquake.  She had beautiful yellow ribbons in her hair and I held her most of the stop.  If I put her down she was never far from me.  Even when I was carrying water buckets for other little girls she had her hand on the back of my shirt and tailed along.  If I gave my attention to any other children she would stand right next to me and hold my hand.

The only time she left my side was when I was doing my job managing the water line did she leave me, but she was right back within reach the moment I moved out from that area. 

Another highlight was a darling girl named Madeline who I sang with.  I began by singing "Jesus loves you." and she then sang it back to me in Creole.  (She is pictured here in the pink shirt in front.) 

The group divided for the afternoon between Home for the Sick and Dying Children and Gertrude's...and we were blessed by holding, singing and loving more children for our last "mission" work of the week. 

Please join us in praying for the mother of a little one who lost their life just as our team was getting ready to leave for the day.  It was heartwrenching for those on our team who witnessed it...pray for their hearts also.

Thank you God for capturing that little girl in your loving and sovereign arms.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment