Saturday, June 16, 2012

Amazing

           Today was our free day to do the things that we felt we wanted to do before we leave on Monday. First we went on the water truck for the second time on our trip. The water truck was another amazing experience that really reminded me about how lucky I am to live in the conditions I live in and reminded me that even though the Haitian people have almost nothing, they are always extremely happy. It really helped me open my eyes and change my perspective on life.



The second thing I did today was go to Gertrudes home for special needs kids. This was our second visit there on our trip. Again it was a very fun and joyous time playing with the kids and being a light in their lives as well as them being a light in ours. It a so great to see how they can be so happy despite their disabilities.

The third thing I did today was play soccer. Today was another outstanding evening playing soccer with the little Haitian boys. It is always a blessing to be able to play a game with the boys and have so much fun with a little kickball (soccer ball) and rocks (goal). Everyday as we keep playing more and more kids keep showing up and want to play. Tonight we had a very special gift for the kids after the game ended. We had some extra Feed My Starving Children food and we got to give the kids each two packs of food. It was an amazing moment being able to see the expression on their faces when they got to recieve the food. It was one moment that I will remember for the rest of my life. One last thing that happened before the night was one of my new best friends that I have met on my trip gave me three pictures he drew for me. They were some of the best drawings I have seen in a long time.  They were so detailed and they looked like a person who draws for a living. One of the drawings had my name and his name next to each other and two very neatly drawn birds with flowers and grass. I was so amazed that he drew this and that he made it for me. I thanked him greatly and will keep those pictures for a long time.

        I realized after today that I am making and building new relationships with these people here that will be hard to let go. One of the hardest things about this whole trip will be leaving all of the great people and friends that I have made here. They are loving, nice, happy, joyous, GOD-loving, and outstanding people that have really impacted my life greatly.

-Matt Carson







No comments:

Post a Comment