Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Water Truck Day- A Day of Heartbreak and a Day of Faith


I was a little anxious as we rode in the tap-tap to Cite Soleil. Since this was my first time serving in Haiti, I didn't quite know what to expect. Especially after seeing the conditions that the people live in. As we pulled up to our first stop though, all of the kids outside had huge smiles on their faces and were clapping in anticipation of our arrival. When Brunet, our driver, opened the door of the tap-tap the kids congregated outside the door. In my mind, I thought, "here we go!" Soon after I got out of the door three kids swarmed around me with their arms stretched up to me. When I saw this I knew that my concern over what to do with the kids was a fear no more! I found that all these kids wanted was attention. They didn't care what I did with them, they just wanted to be held and hugged. There are two parts to the water truck days. The first as explained earlier is to love on the kids who come out to us. The second is to fill up all of the buckets that people have lined up with water. I thought that I would like the physical work of filling up the buckets more than hanging with the kids, but again I was wrong. I found that the water line is pretty chaotic since people try to budge in line. As a result, this part was stressful for me. Giving those kids attention was more fun because they were so joyful over us doing the littlest of things.
                                                                     Blake Aakhus



My heart was split wide open today. Children living in the poorest slum in the western hemisphere are amazing! Living amongst garbage, pigs and sewage, they are full of smiles and true joy.  At "stop 17"  we  walked out on a dumping area.  I was  holding two kiddos and another was holding my hand, I looked down, wearing my closed~toed Keens while the little tots are running through the glass, sewage in bare feet. We sang "God is so Good" with the kids in the midst of this dump. They were clapping and knew the song.  I started to cry as this is the same song I have sung many times with my little BSF kids in MN.  These Haitian children are God's beautiful children as well.  Known by Him, each one by name.

On return to the guesthouse, we were met by our neighborhood boys. We went over to see and meet them and play a little soccer before supper. We found out a new neighborhood friend could sing, so he sang a song for us.  An awesome voice!! The boy had written the song himself and our interpreter told us what the song was about.  It was about that "this life isn't finished.yet " He said when you have faith in Jesus, your life isn't finished." I asked how did he get a faith like that? Writing his own songs about Jesus?  He was so authentic, real. and said "He died for me, was crucified. I love Him. I love Him."  Big Smile.  Kelly starts to cries and hugs this sweet boy.  If I could only be more like him.  God is truly Good.
 

 


 
Kelly Aakhus

 

4 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes reading this. What joy these little ones have despite having nothing that the world considers "valuable". They have those most treasured gift of all...love in their hearts for Jesus! If we could have everyone in the US experience what you are for just half a day think how lives could be changed. Thank you for opening your hearts and sharing this journey. Thank you for your courage to travel to Haiti and serve the least of these!! May God richly bless this trip and your servant hearts! Prayers continue for safety, health and to feel God's presence! Blessings, Joelle Syverson

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing day! thank you for sharing. Please know i am sending prayers and hugs to all! I am so proud of you and all that you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blake - Bonswa!! I don't know you, but I was right where you are at the end of March!! Reading your post here and seeing the pictures really TUG on my heartstrings...and increase my longing to return someday! What an incredible experience you had in Cite Soleil. The children are BEAUTIFUL, aren't they?!? God is soooo with you, young man!! Ke Bondye Beni'ou!!! In Christ, Michelle Nelson (Healing Haiti "Do Something" Team)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying these posts so very much! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete