Thursday, June 5, 2014

Seek and Find



Our trip to Haiti is almost a reality. God has placed this opportunity on our hearts for the past year and a half. We are now counting down the days.


One of our final preparations was to have a garage sale.  We had some earthly treasures that we felt others might enjoy and also we wanted to raise some additional funding so that we could take some of the Haitian children to the beach and host a meal after a church service.
If you have ever had a garage sale you know that you have to be open and flexible. I believe the very popular movie,"Frozen" says it best with one of it's songs, "Let it go". One of our first customers taught us many lessons and this being one of them. He came to the "huge multi family" sale (we had quite a bit of stuff) and started collecting all the down hill boots, skis and poles he could find and put them in a pile. As I was telling him what he owed and realizing he was getting a wonderful deal I thought perhaps he was outfitting some neighborhood children or maybe even his own brood. I casually asked him and he told me he was going to "resell it". I said, "okay" and gave him a bookmark with information on "Healing Haiti". After he walked to his car, the 3 of us moms that were working thought we better say a prayer before bitterness took too deep a hold. We prayed that God would send just the right people and that the garage sale might not be about the money but instead be used to touch others and ourselves. 


We had just finished praying when the ski man walked back and said, "I read what you gave me and I like your cause". He then put in a generous gift in our donation jar.  We realized our sale wasn't about monetary gain. As we open our hearts and minds God is able to use our experiences and interactions for His glory. 


 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".
Jeremiah 29:13

Carrie Derks

No comments:

Post a Comment